Wednesday, December 14, 2011

DC Preview Review for February 2012 Part 1 of 2


Jim: This column has become a lot harder since the DCU reset button was pressed. I find that my interest in the DCU is still there, but my investment in the characters has changed. For Part 1 let’s look at the big guns.
Gwen: Reading DC is a bit Twilight Zone-ish at the moment. I like the new take on some of the characters but even after several months I feel that I'm still adjusting.

JUSTICE LEAGUE #6
Written by GEOFF JOHNS
Art and cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS
1:25 Variant cover by ADAM HUGHES
1:200 B&W Variant cover by JIM LEE
On sale FEBRUARY 15 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
Combo pack edition: $4.99 US
Retailers: This issue will ship with three covers. Please see the order form for more information.
The Justice League is united at last against Darkseid! The awesome consequences of this high-stakes battle will resonate within the series for years to come! Geoff Johns and Jim Lee end their historic first arc with a bang!
This issue is also offered as a special combo pack edition, poly-bagged with a redemption code for a digital download of the issue.

Jim: I have been unimpressed. I guess if I was a new fan walking in the door I would have thought this was pretty cool, but as a long time fan this is jumbling the characters up more then is tolerable to me. Johns has tried to create a sense of newness, but I think even he has a hard time writing this as if it is the first time since he knows the characters so well. Jim Lee and Scott Williams have very good art and action packed and I’m sure it will look great in an oversized edition; I just won’t be buying it.
Gwen: As much as I enjoy Darkseid as a villain I get turned off by these solicitations that promise things like "awesome consequences... will resonate for years to come". It's just fluffed up hype that tells me little to nothing about the actual book.



WONDER WOMAN #6
Written by BRIAN AZZARELLO
Art by TONY AKINS
Cover by CLIFF CHIANG
1:25 Variant cover by CLIFF CHIANG
On sale FEBRUARY 15 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. The variant cover will feature the standard edition cover in a wraparound format.
Hades and Poseidon both have designs on the kingdom their brother Zeus left behind, but Wonder Woman doesn’t intend to let their turf war decimate the realm of man! It’ll take a big lie and some help from the mystery man known as Lennox to stop a holy war from breaking out – but what does Lennox know that Wonder Woman doesn’t?

Jim: This book is working. Since it never has before, the bar was lower. Still Azzarello has remade Wonder Woman into a true mythological figure as she is a child of Zeus. The actual story feels more like a modern telling of an old Greek tale and it suits the book.
Gwen: I am having sooooo much fun with this book! First of all, I love this version of Wonder Woman. Zeus slept around so much that Diana being a child of Zeus makes perfect sense within the context of her character. Also, as a fan of Greek mythology I think the creators are doing a wonderful job integrating Greek myth with a modern storyline. I really never expected to have WW as one of my favorite comic books.

SUPERMAN #6
Written by GEORGE PEREZ
Art by NICOLA SCOTT and TREVOR SCOTT
Cover by GEORGE PEREZ
1:25 Variant cover by GEORGE PEREZ
On sale FEBRUARY 22 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. The variant cover will feature the standard edition cover in a wraparound format.
Recently, an onslaught of creatures has targeted Superman, nearly destroying Metropolis in the process. And now...Superman is helping them finish the job?! Guest-starring Supergirl!

Jim: Better then what had gone before for awhile, but still missing the boat. George Perez over writes his books and while George is not explaining the pictures like writers from the silver age, he still making this very, very dense. I like it and enjoy all the information we are getting, but compared to the other big gun books it is still a notch below. Also we are getting a new creative team and that speaks poorly for this title which should have a long term plan behind it.
Gwen: I'd just like to say that I really dislike the new costume - and take - on Supergirl. As for the Superman books I agree with Jim that they are somewhat dense. Even so I'm still interested in the book - but not as much as with other major characters.

BATMAN #6
Written by SCOTT SNYDER
Art by GREG CAPULLO and JONATHAN GLAPION
Cover by GREG CAPULLO
Variant cover by GARY FRANK
1:200 B&W Variant cover by GREG CAPULLO
On sale FEBRUARY 15 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Combo pack edition: $3.99 US
Retailers: This issue will ship with three covers. Please see the order form for more information.
Trapped far beneath Gotham City and hunted by the Talon – the Court of Owls’ unstoppable killer – Batman lies bleeding and broken. With no way out and no one to help, is this the end for The Dark Knight?

Jim: Not a big shock for readers of this column but Snyder has a home run with this title. It has a long term plan but moves the plot forward every issue. I love the mysteries and the Owl society and all the gadgets, this is everything I could hope for and more from a story standpoint. Capullo does very good work, but I’m still adjusting to his style and I think the characters appear too young.
Gwen: Love this book, love the creative team (though Jim is right and it is a bit strange how young the characters seem to be). Also, this cover is excellent.

GREEN LANTERN #6
Written by GEOFF JOHNS
Art by DOUG MAHNKE and CHRISTIAN ALAMY
Cover by DOUG MAHNKE
Variant cover by IVAN REIS
1:200 B&W variant cover by DOUG MAHNKE
On sale FEBRUARY 8 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T
Retailers: This issue will ship with three covers. Please see the order form for more information.
With the tumultuous battle for Korugar past them, Sinestro and Hal are left at a crossroads. They must pick up the pieces of their lives. The question is, will they do it alone…or together?

Jim: This book is the only DC book that has just continued from where it left off. It is a good solid read, with terrific art, but still moves way too slow. Johns hits plot points, but I still always wonder what the long term plan for this book is? Jordan’s life is in shambles and I think it would be hard to be a hero when you have nothing for yourself.
Gwen: I continue to care very little about Hal Jordan. I used to love Hal as a kid but ever since Kyle became a GL, he's the main GL I want to follow.

Part 2 Coming Soon

No comments:

Post a Comment