Thursday, January 14, 2010

DC Preview Review For March Part 2 of 2

As promised Part 2!

JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE RISE AND FALL SPECIAL #1
On sale MARCH 10 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US
Written by JAMES ROBINSON & J.T. KRUL
Cover by MAURO CASCIOLI
Following the stunning conclusion to JUSTICE LEAGUE: CRY FOR JUSTICE comes the next epic chapter for the World’s Greatest Heroes. What controversial decision has created a split in the League? A new meaning to the term “hunt for justice” creates fear in the villain populace. Plus, a shocking secret is revealed that will change Green Arrow’s life forever.

GREEN ARROW #31
On sale MARCH 17 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Written by J.T. KRUL
Art by DIOGENES NEVES
Cover by MAURO CASCIOLI
“The Fall of Green Arrow” begins here! Spinning out of the shocking events of JUSTICE LEAGUE: CRY FOR JUSTICE and JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE RISE AND FALL SPECIAL #1 comes the destruction of Green Arrow. As Oliver Queen’s inner turmoil and guilt overwhelms him, secrets are revealed that will tear him asunder. What will the Emerald Archer reveal to the world that will change his life and the lives of the people around him forever? And why are Hal Jordan (Green Lantern), Barry Allen (The Flash) and the rest of the Justice League hunting him?

JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE RISE OF ARSENAL #1
On sale MARCH 24 • 1 of 4 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US
Written by J.T. KRUL
Art by GERALDO BORGES & MARLO ALQUIZA
Cover by GREG HORN

In JUSTICE LEAGUE: CRY FOR JUSTICE, Roy Harper lost everything at the hands of Prometheus, barely surviving the brutal severing of his arm. But when he finally awakens from his coma, Roy will find that his dangerous journey into despair is just beginning.
Jim: So Roy losing his arm is causing this much of an impact? Somehow I’m not buying it. I feel sorry for Roy as he has been one hard luck hero with a heroin addiction, having a child with a deadly terrorist, forced by Brad Metzler to become Red Arrow (maybe it is the beginning of the Arrow Corps) and now losing an arm. Of course losing an arm might mean something if your buddy (Cyborg) wasn’t missing a couple of arms and legs.
Lee: Very good points! And, when you say it that way it makes me even less interested than I was before. Not a good sign.
Gwen: Whatever, I'm sure he can get his arm magically regrown or technologically replaced or something. I can't be all that worked up about it. I mean when his mentor managed to get better after dying - it kind of skews my 'tragedy' perspective.


NEMESIS: THE IMPOSTERS #1
On sale MARCH 3 • 1 of 4 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Written by IVAN BRANDON
Art by CLIFF RICHARDS
For Thomas Andrew Tresser, aka Nemesis, the world of metahuman espionage is never what it seems. After his recent “reeducation” at the hands of the Global Peace Agency, Nemesis finds himself thrust back into the real world with enemies seemingly around every corner. Tasked with uncovering the truth about his mission and the true identities of those hoping to unleash a great evil on the world, Nemesis is forced to confront the fact that he may not be able to trust anybody in the universe – including himself.

Jim: This confuses me. Why has DC spent so much time on this little used character, especially after Gail Simone was using him as Diana’s love interest. By the way any non-powered male character that is Wonder Woman’s girl friend always comes off as emasculated; she needs a super powered boy friend.
Lee: I always think there’s room for non-powered people stories in the DC. Just look at the Chase series back in the day. That was very good. Not to mention this is only 4 issues long so it’s easy to take a chance on. As for strong women… I think you fear strong women.
Gwen: Honestly I think Wonder Woman shouldn't date until someone comes up with a really strong love story for her. It just never makes much sense. I mean, the Nemesis thing never seemed to be going anywhere and didn't ring very true to start with.



ATOMIC KNIGHTS HC
Advance-solicited • On sale MAY 19 • 192 pg, FC $39.99 US
Writte
.n by JOHN BROOME
Art and cover by MURPHY ANDERSON
In a post-apocalyptic future, the Atomic Knights protect the surviving citizens against threats of all sorts in tales from STRANGE ADVENTURES #117, 120, 123, 126, 129, 132, 135, 136, 138, 141, 144, 147, 150, 153 156 and 160. Collected here for the first time!
Jim: One of the goofiest science fiction stories of all time, but I loved it as a kid and hope that it holds up years later. DC at one time tried to update the Atomic Knights and make them part of the regular DCU continuity; they belong to themselves and are not characters that work anywhere else in my opinion.
Lee: This is going to be super goofy, 60’s water-down sci-fi. I want to see it but I don’t want to own it. I have enough similar poop with the Adam Strange archives which are bad, but better than this.
Jim: The Adam Strange stuff is good, it is not similar poop.
Lee: You're trying to differentiate between comic poop? Oh please! Fine, Adam Strange has added bits of corn that make it better than the ordinary brown that is the Atomic Knights.
Gwen: Ugh, no poop for me, thanks. If I'd been interested at all in this stuff Lee has just killed any spark of curiosity.

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: DIAL H FOR HERO TP
Advance-solicited • On sale APRIL 21 • 288 pg, B&W, $9.99 US
Written by DAVE WOOD
Art by JIM MOONEY & others
Cover by JIM MOONEY
The quirky series from HOUSE OF MYSTERY #156-173 is collected for the first time in this title introducing teenaged Robby Reed, whose discovery of the H-E-R-O dial leads to costumed adventure!

Jim: Hey, how come the Atomic Knights get the hard cover and color treatment and this gets a B&W trade. Oh wait Murphy Anderson artwork on Knights and Mooney on Dial “H” for Hero. Never mind I get it. Still I loved this book when I was a kid.
Lee: Eehhhh, yeah. I’m sorry but this doesn’t hold up at all these days. I’m more than willing to take a winger on old, bad superheroes but this one is just bad. A pass from me.
Gwen: Haha. this hero dial stuff was fun to read when I was a kid. I don't care to revisit it, but the best use of the dial was still in the Legion of Superheroes.


DONG XAOI, VIETNAM 1965 HC
On sale MAY 5 • 200 pg, FC, 24.99 US
Written by JOE KUBERT
Art and cover by JOE KUBERT
Joe Kubert, one of the most influential storytellers in comics history, tells the harrowing, true story of a detachment of Special Forces soldiers on a simple recon mission into the village of Dong Xoai, Vietnam, that turned suddenly deadly.
DONG XOAI, VIETNAM 1965 has a unique perspective, since Kubert based the story on extensive information gathered from the surviving members of the unit. It covers not only the action of the event but the details of deployment and build-up that led to the deadly encounter for these young American G.I.s.
For decades, Joe Kubert has shown readers the true face of war – all the suffering, horror, loss and heroism of our fighting forces. With DONG XAOI, he goes a step beyond to tell a gut-wrenching tale of sacrifice that will linger long after you are done reading.

Jim: Can’t wait for this. Joe Kurbert is the man! His work and story telling is still solid decades later.
Lee: All of Kubert’s recent material has been excellent. I’ll be getting this too.
Gwen: You guys can let me know how it is. Usually war-genre comics aren't my casual reading of choice.


SPARTA: USA #1
On sale MARCH 3 • 1 of 6 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US
Written by DAVID LAPHAM
Art and cover by JOHNNY TIMMONS
There’s never been a more American town than Sparta. In Sparta they believe in life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness through treachery, blackmail and murder – just like the Maestro taught them as he learned it from the U.S. President. Sparta is such a great place that no one ever thinks of leaving. It’s been three years since anyone’s tried, and he was never heard from again…until today.
Today, Godfrey McLaine, the greatest quarterback in Sparta’s history, has returned bigger, taller and redder than when he left. He’s also armed with a secret that will expose the rotten core of the American Dream. Award-winning writer David Lapham (YOUNG LIARS, STRAY BULLETS) and artist Johnny Timmons (Wolverine) deliver a unique take on what it means to be an American!
Jim: Always willing to check out a new David Lapham series. I noticed he is now writing more then doing both story and art. This seems to be an odd product to come out under the Wildstorm banner.
Lee: Lapham is always best when he’s working with his own ideas. This should be good.
Gwen: Eh. I can't say that the hype has gotten me interested.


AMERICAN VAMPIRE #1
On sale MARCH 17 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • MATURE READERS
Written by SCOTT SNYDER & STEPHEN KING
Art and cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE
Witness the birth of a brand new species of vampire in this new ongoing series that begins with five extra-sized issues featuring back-to-back stories by exciting new writer Scott Snyder and the master of horror himself, Stephen King! When notorious outlaw Skinner Sweet is attacked by an old enemy (who happens to be a member of the undead), the first American vampire is born... a vampire powered by the sun, stronger, fiercer, and meaner than anything that came before. Plus... Pearl Jones is a struggling young actress in 1920s Los Angeles. But when her big break brings her face-to-face with an ancient evil, her Hollywood dream quickly turns into a brutal, shocking nightmare.
Jim: This is a very interesting new Vertigo series and I understand it is Stephen King’s first direct work written for a comic book. His son Joe Hill is tearing it up with Locke & Key no reason to think Dad can’t do the same.
Lee: I’m interested to see if this is any good because I am tired of wimpy Twilight vampires. Actually, I don’t consider that vampires, just a wimpy, girl versions of a scary book. OOOHHHH, he emotionally tortured too… BARF!!!
Anyway, I’m not convinced because The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro was touted as superstar author and new vampires but it turned out to be absolute drivel. Better than Twilight but that’s like saying my cat’s poop smells less than my dog’s poop. I’m just hoping this is a return to form for vampire horror.

Jim: You have poop issues this month. Try Activa!
Lee: Activa's for chicks!!! Real men hold it in until they need Beano to calm the intestines. Activa??? I laugh HA HA HO HO at Activa.
Gwen: Lee, have you actually read the Twilight books or just been forced to watch the terrible movies? The books are well written stories with a lot of focus on characterization. It makes me sad that so many people are willing to tear into these stories when I think that a lot of the adverse reactions is due to the huge popularity of the poorly executed movies. Beyond that this comic looks really cool.


BLACKEST NIGHT SERIES 5 ACTION FIGURES
Behold the Power of the Black Lanterns!
This fifth series of action figures based on the hugely popular BLACKEST NIGHT event includes Nekron, the Lord of the Unliving; Hawkman, the winged warrior who joins the Black Lanterns after falling victim to them; Deadman, the ghost hero who’s tormented by voices of the dead; and Batman, who, in death, is as susceptible to the Black Lantern Corps as anyone.
All four figures feature multiple points of articulation and include a display base. Character-appropriate accessories are also included.
Includes:
Black Lantern Batman • 6.75” h
Black Lantern Nekron • 7.25” h
Black Lantern Hawkman • 7” h
Black Lantern Deadman • 6.75” h
4-color clamshell blister card packaging. Advance-solicited; on sale August 4.

Jim: Wow up to series 5 already on this book. Johns deserves a raise as DC must be selling the crap out of these figures. I have purchased 7 of the 8 released so far and have plans to but more.
Lee: Using yourself as a standard for action figure sales is just not valid. Don’t you have 60-70 already in your office, not counting the ones at home? You’re already on DC’s list of guaranteed sales. But it does beg the question, which one did you skip?

Jim: I skipped John Stewart because he was just a regular human GL and now I regret it as I want the whole set. And I think it is more like 80-100 action figures in my office with only a few more at home.
Lee: I just read, "my hc's already overwhelm the house so in order to keep peace with my wife I keep my barbie dolls at the office." As long as the missus doesn't visit the office to see the full extent you should be fine.

Jim: They are action figures not dolls - geez.
Gwen: I have G'nort :) I think he's my only GL. If I had an office I'd know what to do with all the action figures Jim sends me.

Jim: Atomic Knights and Dial “H” for Hero, I can’t wait. Of course the material probably does not hold up, but still it can be nostalgic fun and Murphy Anderson was an excellent artist.
Lee: No nostalgia for me this month. Only a hope that King can write comics and American Vampire is actually good.
Gwen: King's a good writer when he actually tries. I'm really looking forward to the conclusion of Blackest Night :)

6 comments:

  1. Promise not to deliver cat poop. Been working overtime to make American Vampire something special. We all believe deeply in the idea. And Gwen: nothing against Twilight at all (my wife loves the books) - but I like my vampires with fangs is all. (Big, big fangs.) S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll add my two cents on Twilight, though it's second hand from my wife. She's read the first couple books because our daughter wanted to read them. Anyway, she agrees with Gwen so far as there being lots of character development, she's just not fond of how the lead, Bella, has been developed. She's very needy and all about pursuing a male. Not really the message we'd like to promote to our daughter, but something to talk about with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott, I like all sorts of vampires. Fangs or no fangs, creepy, evil, good guys, children of cain, disease ridden humans... I like the variety of the genre. I like to see what different creators can do to make an old concept new again.

    Thomm - As far as Bella goes... she's not someone I have a lot in common with but then again neither was Juliet. The whole point of Meyer's story is that it's a story of a love that is overwhelmingly powerful. It's also exploring the idea of a love that could be dangerous - where do you draw the line and is love really worth risking everything for... that kind of thing. By the time you get to the last book her character becomes stronger.

    I was defending Twilight because I feel like the books are well written stories that get ragged on a lot because of the bad movies. Also, I think that a lot of men have a hard time relating to the plot... Most women I've met have liked at least one of the books while most guys say they can't relate to the main character at all. Maybe it's because they were never an adolescent girl *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott-

    As long as you like big, honkin' fangs then I'm sold. I'm all for a return to form with fangs and more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gwen-

    Like Thomm, my wife read the book. She liked the first, then stated they progressively got weaker from there.

    I like vampire stories so I was willing to try it but I was told not to. Wife said it's more about the character and the vampire just added background mythology and some plot lines. It was vampires for the adolescent girl set.

    Finally, Wife agreed with Thomm's wife that Bella was very needy and gave up everything to be with a boy. She felt it sent the wrong message.

    I think that's from women who are already Mother's and beyond the young girl thing.

    Overall, boys bash it because boys are mean and destructive. Boys should be avoided until your 18 at least. That's what I tell my girls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So far my girl still thinks boys are idiots and fools, so that works. Probably helps that she has a little brother.

    ReplyDelete