Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Surreal Adventures of Edgar Allan Poo – A Review


Created and Written by Dwight L. MacPherson & Illustrated by Thomas Boatwright.

The premise is Edgar Allan Poe lost his creativity after his wife died. This story follows Poe’s creativity (Poo) as it journeys through his troubled mind.

Edgar Allan Poo is fighting his way through the imagined worlds of Poe with Irving the Rat and other creatures of Poe’s mind-scape. Poe himself is dealing with the ghost of his late wife and the King of Nightmares, who is trying to destroy him. Ultimately at the end Poo is reunited with Poe and we have a happy ending.

The vast majority of the story revolves around Poo’s adventures in Poe’s mind-scape battling incubuses, talking hermit crabs, giants, a raven forest, and other dangers. While I missed a ton of literary references, just on a simple story level it works as a wonderful fairy tale. The innocence of Poo as he struggles in an unfamiliar world fighting monsters and making friends with anthropomorphous animals is a great fairly tale. I always have enjoyed how must great children’s stories have that scary element. This story captures that part of any good children’s story.

On an adult and literary level it made me remember small bits and pieces of Poe’s work and is encouraging me to pick up and read his work again. I pulled up some of his work on the internet today and began to re-read it. It was better then I remember and his writing style is more interesting to me now then it was in my 20’s. The book captures the essence of Edgar Allan Poe so well, that I feel compelled to go and read and re-read many of his stories. I recognize that the more versed I am in Poe’s writing the more I will get from this story. This is a truly original tale that works on many levels.

If it sounds like the review is complete, it is not. I would be remiss to not speak of the artwork. Thomas Boatwright captures both innocence and a sense of menace in his art. At times the line work is loose and has a cartoon feel to it, but never really reaches an animated type style. It maintains a sense of realism and edginess that the story needs while still being ethereal enough to maintain its whimsy. The muted pallet works to give the book its dark gothic-like quality and changes tones for various segments of the story.

Both art and story fit hand in glove and make this book a pleasure to read. I would recommend this book to any fan of Edgar Allan Poe, but more importantly I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a fairy tale, that has some real value to it. Literary references, heroism, friendship, love, fear and happy endings all reside within this book. A great story.

Grade A

The story is originally a web comic, the website is :

6 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to reading this - so you better hurry up with it Lee! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful review! Thank you so very much for purchasing, reading and reviewing my book!

    Sincerely,
    Dwight L. MacPherson
    Creator Edgar Allan Poo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dwight - Thanks for creating such a great story. I actually purchased two more copies after reading it to give to friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are quite welcome, my friend. My children were the inspiration for the series and I guess it shows.

    Three copies? Wow! Thank you so much, Jim! I appreciate you spreading the good word. :-)

    Sincerely,
    Dwight L. MacPherson
    Creator Edgar Allan Poo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this although I felt as if I missed a page at the end - I felt like there should have been a less abrupt ending. Overall it was very well done though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We'll make it up to you in the second book, Brainiac6. Promise. :-)

    -Dwight

    ReplyDelete